How many emails do you receive a day? If you receive more than ten you should look into using an email client such as the default Vista one Windows Mail instead of having to log on to the yahoo website every time you want to see if something new has arrived.But the main advantages of email clients are not only that, you have better spam protection, more options to customize your needs, no server ads all around the place and best of all, you can log all your emails on computer and check them while your offline.If don’t want to use Windows Mail (I don’t blame you) there are several other better free options out there, you can find my favorite picks here.
1) Start Windows Mail and go to Tools -> Accounts.
2) Click on Add button to add the e-mail account.
3) Select E-mail Account and press on Next.
4) Type the name you want to appear every time your send an email and click on Next.
5) Type your e-mail address and click on Next.
6) This is the trickiest part out of the whole tutorial, choose POP3 from the drop down list in the Incoming e-mail server type:. Type “pop.mail.yahoo.com” in the Incoming mail (POP3 or IMAP) server: field and then “smtp.mail.yahoo.com” in the Outgoing e-mail server (SMTP) name: field. Also, don’t forget to tickthe “Outgoing server requires authentication” option. Then click on Next.
7) Type your user name without “@yahoo.com” and your password. Tick the “Remember password” option and click on Next.
8) Tick the “Do not download my e-mail at this time” option and click on Finish.
9) Now, select your e-mail account again and click on Properties.
10) Go to the “General” tab and type “Yahoo Mail Plus!” in your account name field”.
11) Now, Go to the “Advanced” tab and tick the “SSL” options for SMTP and POP3. Also type the ports 465 (Outgoing) and 995 (Incoming).
Another recommended setting would be to check the “Leave a copy of messages on server” and the “Remove from server when deleted from Deleted Items”. Then click on OK.
12) Lets try it out, press on the Send/Receive button and you should start receiving your e-mail messages.
Thats all, hope you enjoyed that tutorial :)